last updated Wed, Jun 29, 2016
Thomas D. Lyon’s research interests include child witnesses, child maltreatment and domestic violence. He teaches courses in Evidence, Law and Psychology, and Child Interviewing.
Professor Lyon is past-president of the American Psychological Association’s Section on Child Maltreatment (Division 37) and a former member of the Board of Directors of the American Professional Society on the Abuse of Children. He has published more than 60 papers in law reviews, psychology journals and books; has authored or co-authored more than 90 research presentations at psychology and law conferences; and has conducted more than 200 trainings with judges, attorneys, law professors, social workers, psychologists and reporters. His work has been supported by the National Institutes of Health, the National Science Foundation, the United States Department of Justice, the National Center on Child Abuse and Neglect, the California Endowment, and the Haynes Foundation.
A magna cum laude graduate of Dartmouth College and Harvard Law School, Professor Lyon received his Ph.D. in developmental psychology from Stanford University. He was an attorney for the Children’s Services Division of the Los Angeles County Counsel and a research associate at Harbor-UCLA Medical Center prior to joining USC Law in 1995.
10. Lawrence, J. A., Levin, D. B., Brady, K. L., Jhai, M., & Lyon, T. D. (2015). "Ohio v. Clark: Brief of Amicus Curiae American Professional Society on the Abuse of Children in Support of Petitioner." Psychology, Public Policy, & Law.
1. Lyon, T. D. (2003). "American Psychological Association, National Association of Counsel for Children, American Professional Society on the Abuse of Children, and California Professional Society on the Abuse of Children in Support of Respondent. Marion R. Stogner v. California."
12. Hershkowitz, I., Lamb, M. E., & Lyon, T. D. (2013). Interviewing victims and suspected victims who are reluctant to talk. APSAC (American Professional Society on the Abuse of Children) Advisor, 25 (4),16-19.
11. Lyon, T. D. (2012). Twenty-five years of interviewing research and practice: Dolls, diagrams, and the dynamics of abuse disclosure. APSAC (American Professional Society on the Abuse of Children) Advisor, 24 (1-2), 14-19.
10. Lyon, T. D. (2009). Witnesses, children as legal. In R. Shweder, T. Bidell, A. Dailey, S. Dixon, P. Miller, & J. Modell (Eds.), The child: An encyclopedic companion (pp. 1036-1039). Chicago: University of Chicago Press.