About USC Gould
USC Gould is a top-ranked law school with a 115-year history and reputation for academic excellence. We are located on the beautiful 228-acre USC University Park Campus, just south of downtown Los Angeles.
Learn about our rigorous and interdisciplinary curriculum, our invaluable experiential learning opportunities, and the breadth and depth of our specialized areas of concentration and certificate offerings.
- Student Life
Participate in an unparalleled learning experience with diversity of people and thought. Get involved in the law school community and participate in activities that enhance your studies.
We work closely with students, graduates and employers to support successful career goals and outcomes. Our overall placement rate is consistently strong, with 94 percent of our JD class employed within 10 months after graduation.
Our faculty is distinguished for its scholarship, as well as for its commitment to teaching. Our 12:1 student-to-faculty ratio creates an intimate and collegial learning environment.
- Alumni and Giving
Alumni and Giving
The global Trojan network of more than 10,000 law alumni and donors include recognized leaders in numerous fields who are deeply committed to supporting student and law school success.
- + AREAS OF CONCENTRATION
- ALTERNATIVE DISPUTE RESOLUTION
- BUSINESS LAW
- MEDIA, ENTERTAINMENT AND TECHNOLOGY LAW
- PUBLIC INTEREST LAW
- + EXPERIENTIAL LEARNING
- + NON-DEGREE PROGRAMS
- ACADEMIC CALENDAR
- COURSE DESCRIPTIONS
Technology Transactions (Spring 2017)
- Course Number: LAW-770
- Class Number: 03488
- Instructor: Richard Friedman
The purpose of this course is to provide students with the foundation for advising clients on transactions involving patents, software, trade secrets and other technology-related rights. The class covers:
· Intellectual property law basics for the transactional lawyer
· Substantive law relevant to technology transactions
· The structural building blocks of a contract
· The review and analysis of patent and software license agreements, development agreements, open source licenses, and agreements between technology companies and their employees and independent contractors
· The interplay of technology rights in venture capital financings, mergers and acquisitions, and secured loans.
· Transactional lawyering skills generally, including advising clients, negotiating contracts, and managing the transaction process
The class includes several exercises and simulated lawyer work experiences. The course is designed both for students focused on a career in technology or intellectual property law, as well as those interested in a career in business or corporate law. The course is eligible for credit towards the Business Law Certificate and the Technology and Entrepreneurship Certificate programs. Prior background in patent law or intellectual property law is helpful, but not required.
The instructor has over 25 years’ transactional experience supporting the development, financing and commercialization of early stage technologies. He is currently with the law firm of DLA Piper where he serves as outside general counsel to emerging and established companies in the technology, life sciences and media/entertainment sectors, and also represents the venture capital firms and strategic partners that finance and collaborate with these companies. The instructor previously led the technology transfer licensing teams at USC and another major university, served as general counsel for a publicly-traded software company, and was a corporate and securities partner at a law firm in Silicon Valley.
- Unit Value: 3
- Grading Options: Numerical or CR/D/F
- Schedule: W 4:00 pm - 6:50 pm
- Room Number: Room 2
- Exam: In-class exam
- Writing Requirement: No
- Skills/Experiential Unit Requirement: Yes
- Participation: Required and graded
- Pre-requisites: Prior background in Patent Law or Intellectual Property is helpful but not required
- Enrollment Limitation: 25 students
Start the online application process.
Schedule a Tour
Come experience life at USC Gould.
Visit a Classroom
Sit in on a real class session.
Browse our Viewbook
Download our informative viewbook.
Check Application Status
Check your application status online.
Meet your JD student ambassadors.
Admitted Students Portal
Log in to our admitted students portal.
Still have questions? Let us help.