About USC Gould
USC Gould is a top-ranked law school with a 115-year history and reputation for academic excellence. We are located on the beautiful 228-acre USC University Park Campus, just south of downtown Los Angeles.
Learn about our rigorous and interdisciplinary curriculum, our invaluable experiential learning opportunities, and the breadth and depth of our specialized areas of concentration and certificate offerings.
- Student Life
Participate in an unparalleled learning experience with diversity of people and thought. Get involved in the law school community and participate in activities that enhance your studies.
We work closely with students, graduates and employers to support successful career goals and outcomes. Our overall placement rate is consistently strong, with 94 percent of our JD class employed within 10 months after graduation.
Our faculty is distinguished for its scholarship, as well as for its commitment to teaching. Our 12:1 student-to-faculty ratio creates an intimate and collegial learning environment.
- Alumni and Giving
Alumni and Giving
The global Trojan network of more than 10,000 law alumni and donors include recognized leaders in numerous fields who are deeply committed to supporting student and law school success.
Two-Year Extended Master of Laws (LLM) Degree
- TWO-YEAR EXTENDED MASTER OF LAWS (LLM) DEGREE
- APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS
- CAREER AND BAR
- CAMPUS HOUSING
- TUITION AND FINANCIAL AID
- ONE-YEAR MASTER OF LAWS (LLM) DEGREE
- SUMMER LAW AND ENGLISH (SLE)
- CONTACT US
The Two-Year Extended Master of Laws (LLM) at USC Gould allows you to spend one year learning about the U.S. legal system and mastering legal English prior to enrolling in the yearlong, comprehensive LLM curriculum.
During the first year, you will receive academic training in legal reading and comprehension, case briefing, legal analysis and synthesis of the U.S. common law system, while improving your English speaking and writing skills. Small, personalized classes during the first year give you an opportunity to adjust to living in the U.S. and attending USC.
Upon successful completion of the first year, you will receive a certificate in U.S. Legal Studies and will be enrolled in USC Gould's LLM program.
Why Choose the Two-Year Extended LLM at USC Gould?
The first year strengthens your fluency in English while preparing you to succeed in the LLM degree at USC Gould. In addition to providing you with a thorough grounding in American law, our Two-Year LLM curriculum stimulates critical thinking and practical problem solving. Our comprehensive array of courses in our LLM allows you to customize your degree to fit your career goals.
When you join USC Gould, you will become part of a dynamic and diverse law school community, be nurtured by a world-class faculty, enroll in small and collegial classes, and join the global Trojan Family network of more than 10,000 law alumni. Our graduates include partners in the world's largest law firms, leaders of civil rights movements, and CEOs and presidents of multibillion-dollar companies.
As an LLM student, you will have access to an academic support system led by a full-service staff dedicated exclusively to aiding international students. You will have the opportunity to benefit from:
- one-on-one help with course registration
- tools for exam preparation
- seminars on study techniques
- individualized career development advisement
- workshops on résumé and cover letter writing, interviewing and job-search strategies
- participation in the International Student Interview Program job fair in New York and the UCLA Interview Program in Los Angeles
- Early Bar Preparation and other bar exam workshops
- USC Gould Continuing Legal Education events, where you can network with leading professionals in tax, entertainment, corporate, real estate and intellectual property law, among other fields
- the Summer Law and English (SLE) four-week intensive
- social and athletic outings with fellow LLM students, including a night at the Hollywood Bowl, a USC Trojan football game and a basketball game at Staples Center
Our Office of International Services provides additional resources to assist you with visa and other requirements for studying in the U.S. The university also maintains international offices in Beijing, Hong Kong, Mexico City, Mumbai, Sao Paulo, Seoul, Shanghai and Taipei.
During the Two-Year Extended LLM, you will develop:
- improved English speaking and writing skills
- academic support skills to help you succeed
- practical knowledge in the theories, history and use of American law
- understanding of the U.S. legal system, government, historical context and foundational values
- insights into how the American legal system differs from other legal systems around the world
- fluency with advanced legal terminology through exposure to substantive texts, cases, statutes and memoranda
- the ability to perform legal research and analysis necessary for work in a variety of legal settings
- understanding of legal professionalism and ethics, and the responsibilities required of representatives of clients and officers of the court