About USC Gould
USC Gould is a top-ranked law school with a 115-year history and reputation for academic excellence. We are located on the beautiful 228-acre USC University Park Campus, just south of downtown Los Angeles.
Learn about our rigorous and interdisciplinary curriculum, our invaluable experiential learning opportunities, and the breadth and depth of our specialized areas of concentration and certificate offerings.
- Student Life
Participate in an unparalleled learning experience with diversity of people and thought. Get involved in the law school community and participate in activities that enhance your studies.
We work closely with students, graduates and employers to support successful career goals andoutcomes. Our overall placement rate is consistently strong, with 94 percent of our JD class employed within 10 months after graduation.
Our faculty is distinguished for its scholarship, as well as for its commitment to teaching. Our 12:1 student-to-faculty ratio creates an intimate and collegial learning environment.
- Alumni and Giving
Alumni and Giving
The global Trojan network of more than 10,000 law alumni and donors include recognized leaders in numerous fields who are deeply committed to supporting student and law school success.
Summer Law and English (SLE)
You may apply online for SLE between January 1 and May 19 each year. Please email your supplemental application materials (described below) — financial support documents, passport, résumé/CV and TOEFL/IELTS score report — at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applicants must be at least 21 years old by the July start date.
SLE's $100 application fee can be paid by credit card when submitting the online application.
If you have been admitted to our LLM, MCL or VIP, your $100 application fee can be waived. Follow the instructions included with your admissions packet. We recommend you wait until you receive an admissions decision prior to applying for SLE.
The SLE application deadline is May 19. We recommend that you apply early to avoid any difficulties in obtaining a visa in a timely fashion.
Admissions decisions are made within two to three weeks after receipt of your application. We accept applications on a rolling basis, as space is available. You will be notified via email and postal mail. No admissions decisions will be released over the phone.
Financial Support Documents and Passport
Along with your SLE application, you must provide a financial statement that certifies you have sufficient funds ($6,250) to meet your living (housing, meals, etc.) and course expenses while at USC (unless you are a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, or have been granted political asylum). It must show an additional $500 for a spouse and $250 for each child, if they will accompany you.
If you are:
- Self-sponsored: Your financial statement must be a current personal bank statement or letter from your bank, in English with a recent date listed.
- Sponsored by an individual: Your financial statement must include a current letter of support and a bank statement (in English) from your sponsor that specifically states their relationship to you (parent or other relative, friend, etc.).
- Sponsored by an organization: Your financial statement should be a letter on your sponsoring-organization's letterhead, signed by a representative of your sponsoring organization, that states the amount of financial support to be given ($6,250 minimum).
You also must submit a copy of the photo page of your passport.
If you have already applied to USC Gould's LLM, MCL or VIP, you are not required to resend financial support documentation or a copy of your passport.
Along with your SLE application, you must submit a brief, current résumé or curriculum vitae (CV). If you have already applied to USC Gould's LLM, MCL or VIP, you are not required to resend your résumé/CV.
TOEFL or IELTS Score Report
A TOEFL or IELTS score is not required for the SLE application, but please submit your score report if you have one, as it will assist our ESL instructors in planning your courses.
If you are not a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, you must obtain an F-1 visa to attend SLE. USC Gould will supply participants with I-20 forms, the United States Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status, which is required for an F-1 student visa application.
You may not attend SLE on a B1/B2 visitor/tourist visa.
Tuition for the Summer Law and English is $3,900 plus a $300 university fee for a total of $4,200. This is in addition to your $100 SLE application fee.
SLE and university fees cover:
- law and legal English instruction
- course materials
- health insurance, immunization screening and treatment
- use of USC Student Health Center with USC faculty physicians
- weekly special activities
- access to campus facilities, including banking, computer, dining, libraries, medical and recreation
- student services, including academic counseling, a USC ID card, orientation and closing ceremony
- expedited processing of student visa I-20 form
- express mail of admission documents
If you are admitted to SLE, payment is due by June 1 in order to reserve your space. All SLE fees are nonrefundable (unless your visa is denied).