About USC Gould
USC Gould is a top-ranked law school with a 115-year history and reputation for academic excellence. We are located on the beautiful 228-acre USC University Park Campus, just south of downtown Los Angeles.
Learn about our rigorous and interdisciplinary curriculum, our invaluable experiential learning opportunities, and the breadth and depth of our specialized areas of concentration and certificate offerings.
Participate in an unparalleled learning experience with diversity of people and thought. Get involved in the law school community and participate in activities that enhance your studies.
We work closely with students, graduates and employers to support successful career goals and outcomes. Our overall placement rate is consistently strong, with 94 percent of our JD class employed within 10 months after graduation.
Our faculty is distinguished for its scholarship, as well as for its commitment to teaching. Our 12:1 student-to-faculty ratio creates an intimate and collegial learning environment.
- Alumni and Giving
Alumni and Giving
The global Trojan network of more than 10,000 law alumni and donors include recognized leaders in numerous fields who are deeply committed to supporting student and law school success.
- FACULTY DIRECTORY
- LECTURERS IN LAW DIRECTORY
- EXPERTS DIRECTORY
- FACULTY IN THE NEWS
- SCHOLARSHIP AND PUBLICATIONS
- DISTINCTIONS AND AWARDS
- + CENTERS AND INITIATIVES
- CENTER FOR LAW AND PHILOSOPHY (CLP)
- CENTER FOR LAW AND SOCIAL SCIENCE (CLASS)
- CENTER FOR LAW, HISTORY AND CULTURE (CLHC)
- CENTER FOR TRANSNATIONAL LAW AND BUSINESS (CTLB)
- IMMIGRANTS AND GLOBAL MIGRATION INITIATIVE (IGMI)
- INITIATIVE AND REFERENDUM INSTITUTE (IRI)
- PACIFIC CENTER FOR HEALTH POLICY AND ETHICS
- SAKS INSTITUTE FOR MENTAL HEALTH LAW, POLICY, AND ETHICS
- WORKSHOPS AND CONFERENCES
Erik Hovenkamp’s research focuses on antitrust and competition policy, patents and innovation policy, law and economics, and industrial organization. His work is cited in federal court opinions and has been published in a range of law and economics journals, including The University of Chicago Law Review, Review of Industrial Organization, Journal of Corporation Law, International Review of Law and Economics, and Minnesota Law Review, among others.
Hovenkamp earned a PhD in economics and a JD, both from Northwestern University. He joined Harvard Law School as a postdoctoral fellow in the Project on the Foundations of Private Law and as a visiting fellow in Yale Law School’s Information Society Project. In 2018 he was a visiting lecturer at Boston University School of Law.
Articles and Book Chapters
- “Startup Acquisitions, Error Costs, and Antitrust Policy,” (with Kevin Bryan) University of Chicago Law Review (forthcoming 2020). - (SSRN)
- “Antitrust Limits on Startup Acquisitions,” (with Kevin Bryan) Review of Industrial Organization, (forthcoming 2020). - (SSRN)
- Demystifying Patent Holdup, (with Thomas F. Cotter & Norman Siebrasse) 76 Washington & Lee Law Review, (forthcoming 2020). - (SSRN)
- "FTC v. Qualcomm, Antitrust and Intellectual Property," The Regulatory Review (July 11, 2019). - (www)
- "Platform Antitrust," Journal Of Corporation Law (forthcoming, 2019) - (SSRN)
- "Antitrust Law and Patent Settlement Design," 32 Harvard Journal of Law & Technology 417 (2019). - (SSRN) - (Hein)
- "Vertical Mergers and the MFN Thicket in Television," (with Neel Sukhatme) Antitrust Chronicle (August 17, 2018). - (SSRN) - (www)
- "Delayed Entry Settlements at the Patent Office," (with Jorge Lemus) 54 International Review of Law and Economics 30 (2018). - (SSRN) - (www)
- "Competition, Inalienability, and the Economic Analysis of Patent Law," 21 Stanford Technology Law Review 33 (2018) - (SSRN) - (Hein)
- "Tying, Exclusivity, and Standard-Essential Patents," 19 Columbia Science and Technology Law Review 79 (2018). - (SSRN) - (Hein)
- "Buying Monopoly: Antitrust Limits on Damages for Externally Acquired Patents," (with Herbert Hovenkamp) 25 Texas Intellectual Property Law Journal 39 (2018). - (SSRN) - (Hein)
- "How Patent Damages Skew Licensing Markets," (with Jonathan Masur) 36 Review of Litigation 379 (2017). - (SSRN) - (Hein)
- "Patent Pools and Related Technology Sharing," (with Herbert Hovenkamp) in Cambridge Handbook On Antitrust and Intellectual Property (Daniel Sokol & Roger Blair, eds.) (2017). - (SSRN)
- "Challenge Restraints and the Scope of the Patent," Antitrust Chronicle (December 14 2016). - (SSRN) - (www)
- "Anticompetitive Patent Injunctions," (with Tom Cotter) 100 Minnesota Law Review 871 (2016). - (SSRN) - (Hein)
- "Tying Arrangements," (with Herbert Hovenkamp) in Oxford Handbook of International Competition Policy, (Daniel Sokol & Roger Blair, eds.) (2014). - (SSRN)
- "Tying Arrangements and Antitrust Harm," (with Herbert Hovenkamp) 52 Arizona Law Review 925 (2010) . - (SSRN) - (Hein)
- "Complex Bundled Discounts and Antitrust Policy," (with Herbert Hovenkamp) 57 Buffalo Law Review 1227 (2009). - (SSRN) - (Hein)
"The Viability of Antitrust Price Squeeze Claims," (with Herbert Hovenkamp) 51 Arizona Law Review 273 (2009).
- (SSRN) - (Hein)
- "Exclusionary Bundled Discounts and the Antitrust Modernization Commission," (with Herbert Hovenkamp) 53 Antitrust Bulletin 517 (2008). - (SSRN) - (Hein)
FACULTY IN THE NEWS
Thomas Lenz was quoted on a YouTubers Union in Germany challenging Google to demand more insights on how the company decides whether some videos are taken down or demonetized. Lenz said the company gave a range of reactions when it handled similar situations in the past."If you've seen the different facets of these issues arise, you study those and how best to respond," said Lenz, referring to Google's management. "You're going to be more savvy with those issues."
Dorothy S. Lund
"Toward a Mission Statement for Mutual Funds in Shareholder Litigation," National Business Law Scholars Conference, Berkeley School of Law, Berkeley, CA.
“Law Matters – Less Than We Thought,” Bolch Judicial Institute, Duke Law School, Durham, NC.
“Forum Selling Abroad,” Comparative Law Work-In-Progress Workshop, University of Illinois College of Law, Champaign, IL.