About USC Gould
USC Gould is a top-ranked law school with a 120-year history and reputation for academic excellence. We are located on the beautiful 228-acre USC University Park Campus, just south of downtown Los Angeles.
Learn about our interdisciplinary curriculum, experiential learning opportunities and specialized areas.
Participate in an unparalleled learning experience with diversity of people and thought. Get involved in the law school community and participate in activities that enhance your studies.
We work closely with students, graduates and employers to support successful career goals and outcomes. Our overall placement rate is consistently strong, with 94 percent of our JD class employed within 10 months after graduation.
Our faculty is distinguished for its scholarship, as well as for its commitment to teaching. Our 12:1 student-to-faculty ratio creates an intimate and collegial learning environment.
- Alumni and Giving
Master of Laws (1-Year LLM)
USC Gould School of Law
- MASTER OF LAWS (LLM) DEGREE
- APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS
- CAREER AND BAR
- CAMPUS HOUSING
- + TUITION AND FINANCIAL AID
- INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS AND ECONOMIC LAW (IBEL) LLM DEGREE
- ALTERNATIVE DISPUTE RESOLUTION (ADR) LLM DEGREE
- PRIVACY LAW AND CYBERSECURITY (PLCS) LLM DEGREE
- TWO-YEAR EXTENDED MASTER OF LAWS (LLM) DEGREE
- ONLINE MASTER OF LAWS DEGREE (LLM)
- SUMMER LAW AND ENGLISH (SLE)
- CONTACT US
Our Master of Laws (LLM) focuses on the U.S. legal system, with a flexible and far-reaching curriculum that prepares international students for leadership roles in the increasingly globalized marketplace. The full-time, one-year LLM provides you with foundational skills and knowledge that are immediately applicable to real-world legal practice.
The LLM is ideal for international:
- government officials
- corporate legal counsel
- recent law graduates
This LLM is open to anyone with a first law degree (LLB or equivalent) outside of the United States.
Why Choose the LLM Degree at USC Gould?
Recognized by LLM Guide as one of the "Top 10 LLM Programs in California," our LLM curriculum stimulates critical thinking and practical problem solving in addition to providing you with a thorough grounding in American law. Our comprehensive array of courses allows you to customize your degree to fit your career goals.
When you join USC Gould, you will become part of a dynamic and diverse law school community, be nurtured by a world-class faculty, enroll in small and collegial classes, and join the global Trojan Family network of more than 12,500 LLM alumni and 12,000 law alumni. Our graduates include partners in the world's largest law firms, leaders of civil rights movements, and CEOs and presidents of multibillion-dollar companies.
As an LLM student, you will have access to an academic support system led by a full-service staff dedicated exclusively to aiding international students. You will have the opportunity to benefit from:
- one-on-one help with course registration
- tools for exam preparation
- seminars on study techniques
- individualized career development advisement
- workshops on résumé and cover letter writing, interviewing and job-search strategies
- participation in the International Student Interview Program job fair in New York and the UCLA Interview Program in Los Angeles
- Early Bar Preparation and other bar exam workshops
- USC Gould Continuing Legal Education events, where you can network with leading professionals in tax, entertainment, corporate, real estate and intellectual property law, among other fields
- the Summer Law and English four-week intensive
- social and athletic outings with fellow LLM students, including a night at the Hollywood Bowl, a USC Trojan football game and a basketball game at Staples Center
Our Office of International Services provides additional resources to assist you with your visa and other requirements for studying in the U.S. The university also maintains nine international offices worldwide.
LLM Degree Outcomes
Through the LLM degree, you will develop:
- practical knowledge in the theories, history and use of American law
- understanding of the U.S. legal system, government, historical context and foundational values
- insights into how the American legal system differs from other legal systems around the world
- fluency with advanced legal terminology through exposure to substantive texts, cases, statutes and memoranda
- the ability to perform legal research and analysis necessary for work in a variety of legal settings
- understanding of legal professionalism and ethics, and the responsibilities required of representatives of clients and officers of the court
- improved speaking and writing skills
I would choose USC again, without question. The LLM definitely prepared me for my career. The courses gave me a good understanding of the U.S. legal system, and I was glad that USC participates in the International Student Job Fair in New York. I made amazing connections and had a wonderful experience.
Nikolai Unmuth (Germany), LLM 2015
The LLM at USC was a very rewarding opportunity. While expanding my legal knowledge, I was able to interact and enhance my network with individuals who had diverse legal backgrounds from all over the world.
Isabela Adami (Brazil), LLM 2014
Being an LLM student at USC was amazing! I shared so many memories and experiences with my classmates throughout the year. My relationships went beyond being classmates — we became family. Now I truly understand what Trojan Family really means.
Hiroyuki Takahashi (Japan), LLM 2015
The LLM at USC offers an unrivaled instruction in U.S. law taught by passionate academics and leading practitioners. By bringing together students from across the world and all walks of life, USC creates an intellectually stimulating and enriching learning environment.
Michael Zymler (United Kingdom), LLM 2015