About USC Gould
USC Gould is a top-ranked law school with a 115-year history and reputation for academic excellence. We are located on the beautiful 228-acre USC University Park Campus, just south of downtown Los Angeles.
Learn about our rigorous and interdisciplinary curriculum, our invaluable experiential learning opportunities, and the breadth and depth of our specialized areas of concentration and certificate offerings.
- Student Life
Participate in an unparalleled learning experience with diversity of people and thought. Get involved in the law school community and participate in activities that enhance your studies.
We work closely with students, graduates and employers to support successful career goals and outcomes. Our overall placement rate is consistently strong, with 94 percent of our JD class employed within 10 months after graduation.
Our faculty is distinguished for its scholarship, as well as for its commitment to teaching. Our 12:1 student-to-faculty ratio creates an intimate and collegial learning environment.
- Alumni and Giving
Alumni and Giving
The global Trojan network of more than 10,000 law alumni and donors include recognized leaders in numerous fields who are deeply committed to supporting student and law school success.
Visiting International Program (VIP) for Lawyers
- + AREAS OF CONCENTRATION
- ALTERNATIVE DISPUTE RESOLUTION
- BUSINESS LAW
- MEDIA, ENTERTAINMENT AND TECHNOLOGY LAW
- PUBLIC INTEREST LAW
- + EXPERIENTIAL LEARNING
- UNDERGRADUATE COURSES AND PROGRAMS
- CORPORATE AND CUSTOM EDUCATION
- + NON-DEGREE PROGRAMS
- ACADEMIC CALENDAR
- COURSE DESCRIPTIONS
- BAR ADMISSIONS
The Visiting International Program for Lawyers (VIP) helps legal and business professionals from around the world build a broad foundation of knowledge of the laws and legal system of the United States.
VIP is a unique opportunity to be part of the USC Gould community of scholars. You participate in fascinating and informative courses taught by world-class law professors and interact with law students from around the globe, all on a dynamic and diverse campus.
VIP also allows LLM students to continue their legal studies for an additional year and prepare for the bar exam through bar-related courses.
Although VIP coursework may not be used toward a degree at USC, you will receive a letter of completion.
Why Choose VIP at USC Gould?
Over the course of one or two semesters at USC Gould, you attend daily classes on a non-credit, non-degree basis.
As a VIP student, you will have the opportunity to benefit from:
- individualized career development advisement
- workshops on résumé and cover letter writing, interviewing and job-search strategies
- Early Bar Preparation and other bar exam workshops
- USC Gould Continuing Legal Education events, where you can network with leading professionals in tax, entertainment, corporate, real estate and intellectual property law, among other fields
- social and athletic outings with fellow LLM students, including a night at the Hollywood Bowl, a USC Trojan football game and a basketball game at Staples Center
Our Office of International Services provides additional resources to assist you with visa and other requirements for studying in the U.S. The university also maintains international offices in Beijing, Hong Kong, Mexico City, Mumbai, Sao Paulo, Seoul, Shanghai and Taipei.
As a VIP participant, you will have access to a wide variety of law courses to suit your interests — from constitutional law, civil procedure and criminal law to corporate finance, entertainment law and intellectual property. VIP students have access to the same course offerings as our LLM students. Attendance in non-credit courses is subject to space availability and pre-approval by faculty.
Tuition for 2018-19 is $64,747 plus mandatory fees. You should budget an additional $18,000—$25,000 for living expenses, books and supplies.
We recommend that you apply for VIP before March 1 for the following fall semester by completing the VIP application.
The VIP application requires:
- $75 application fee (which must be paid by credit card, cashier's check or money order)
- a two- to three-page statement
- TOEFL or IELTS Score Report (which can also be waived with a documented interview)
- a résumé or curriculum vitae
- financial support documentation (see section 6 on the application form)
- Passport copy of applicant and any dependent(s) traveling together (photo page only)
A law degree is not required for VIP admission.
Admissions decisions are made on a rolling basis, as applications are received. You will be notified of an admissions decision via email and postal mail in approximately two to three weeks of your file completion date. No admissions decisions will be released over the phone. We will contact you if the Admissions Committee feels that a telephone or an in-person interview is necessary.