About USC Gould
USC Gould is a top-ranked law school with a 120-year history and reputation for academic excellence. We are located on the beautiful 228-acre USC University Park Campus, just south of downtown Los Angeles.
Learn about our interdisciplinary curriculum, experiential learning opportunities and specialized areas.
Participate in an unparalleled learning experience with diversity of people and thought. Get involved in the law school community and participate in activities that enhance your studies.
We work closely with students, graduates and employers to support successful career goals and outcomes. Our overall placement rate is consistently strong, with 94 percent of our JD class employed within 10 months after graduation.
Our faculty is distinguished for its scholarship, as well as for its commitment to teaching. Our 12:1 student-to-faculty ratio creates an intimate and collegial learning environment.
- Alumni and Giving
Summer Law and English (SLE)
USC Gould School of Law
- SUMMER LAW AND ENGLISH (SLE)
- APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS
- CAMPUS HOUSING
- ONE-YEAR MASTER OF LAWS (LLM) DEGREE
- TWO-YEAR MASTER OF LAWS (LLM) DEGREE
- ALTERNATIVE DISPUTE RESOLUTION (ADR) LLM DEGREE
- PRIVACY LAW AND CYBERSECURITY (PLCS) LLM DEGREE
- INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS AND ECONOMIC LAW (IBEL) LLM DEGREE
- ONLINE MASTER OF LAWS DEGREE (LLM)
- CONTACT US
USC Gould's Summer Law and English (SLE) four-week intensive strengthens your English speaking and writing proficiency, while helping you build a foundation for future legal studies in the United States. This summer's program will run from July 11, 2022 to August 7, 2022.
SLE is designed for international:
- corporate legal counsel
- business professionals
- government officials
- law students, particularly those who have earned or will soon earn their first law degree (LLB or equivalent) and are interested in pursuing legal studies in the U.S.
- anyone interested in the U.S. legal system who has earned a non-law undergraduate degree outside the United States
All levels of English fluency are welcome.
While SLE provides informative instruction, it does not grant a degree. You will receive a document from USC Gould that certifies completion of SLE.
Why Choose SLE at USC Gould?
Outstanding USC Gould faculty guide you through discussion and analysis of current legal topics and cases and legal-writing sessions, while specialized legal vocabulary is taught by instructors who are expert in teaching English as a second language.
Through SLE, you will:
- build a foundation of basic U.S. law
- improve your English fluency
- practice writing legal briefs and memos
- prepare for a graduate law degree
- network with other legal and business professionals from around the globe
- engage in collaborative problem-solving exercises, small-group projects and special outings
SLE Class Schedule
SLE runs for four weeks, from mid-July to mid-August each year. Classes are held on USC's University Park Campus from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday. Special activities take place on various weekdays.
Experienced USC Gould adjunct faculty and prominent business and legal professionals present engaging lectures and interactive sessions on many different legal topics. Previous course topics included:
- business associations
- civil procedure
- constitutional law
- criminal law and procedure
- entertainment law
- intellectual property
Legal English courses complement and support your law instruction, while helping improve your English speaking and writing skills.
This year's Summer Law and English (SLE) program will be held entirely online, in an effort to promote public health and safety in response to COVID-19. Through interactive virtual platforms, SLE will deliver an engaging preparatory program that brings together law students from around the world. USC Gould faculty, along with Los Angeles-based lawyers and judges, will continue to offer lectures on various U.S. law topics, and USC International Academy instructors will conduct small discussion groups to strengthen students' English speaking and writing proficiency and skills.
Additionally, students will participate in our LLM Preparation Workshop series, a "lawyering lab" and discussion groups to prepare for their LLM studies at USC Gould or elsewhere. We hope you will join us for a dynamic online summer experience!