About USC Gould
USC Gould is a top-ranked law school with a 115-year history and reputation for academic excellence. We are located on the beautiful 228-acre USC University Park Campus, just south of downtown Los Angeles.
Learn about our rigorous and interdisciplinary curriculum, our invaluable experiential learning opportunities, and the breadth and depth of our specialized areas of concentration and certificate offerings.
- Student Life
Participate in an unparalleled learning experience with diversity of people and thought. Get involved in the law school community and participate in activities that enhance your studies.
We work closely with students, graduates and employers to support successful career goals and outcomes. Our overall placement rate is consistently strong, with 94 percent of our JD class employed within 10 months after graduation.
Our faculty is distinguished for its scholarship, as well as for its commitment to teaching. Our 12:1 student-to-faculty ratio creates an intimate and collegial learning environment.
- Alumni and Giving
Alumni and Giving
The global Trojan network of more than 10,000 law alumni and donors include recognized leaders in numerous fields who are deeply committed to supporting student and law school success.
Summer Law and English (SLE)
USC Gould's Summer Law and English (SLE) four-week intensive strengthens your English speaking and writing proficiency, while helping you build a foundation for future legal studies in the United States. This summer's program will run from July 9 - August 3, 2018.
SLE is designed for international:
- corporate legal counsel
- business professionals
- government officials
- law students, particularly those who have earned or will soon earn their first law degree (LLB or equivalent) and are interested in pursuing legal studies in the U.S.
- anyone interested in the U.S. legal system who has earned a non-law undergraduate degree outside the United States
All levels of English fluency are welcome.
While SLE provides informative instruction, it does not grant a degree. You will receive a document from USC Gould that certifies completion of SLE.
Why Choose SLE at USC Gould?
Outstanding USC Gould faculty guide you through discussion and analysis of current legal topics and cases and legal-writing sessions, while specialized legal vocabulary is taught by instructors who are expert in teaching English as a second language.
Through SLE, you will:
- build a foundation of basic U.S. law
- improve your English fluency
- practice writing legal briefs and memos
- prepare for a graduate law degree
- network with other legal and business professionals from around the globe
- engage in collaborative problem-solving exercises, small-group projects and special outings
SLE Class Schedule
SLE runs for four weeks, from mid-July to mid-August each year. Classes are held from 9 a.m.— 4 p.m., Monday through Friday. Special activities take place on various weekdays.
Experienced USC Gould adjunct faculty and prominent business and legal professionals present engaging lectures and interactive sessions on many different legal topics. Previous course topics included:
- alternative dispute resolution
- business associations
- civil procedure
- constitutional law
- corporate finance
- criminal law and procedure
- entertainment law
- intellectual property
- international business transactions
- mergers and acquisitions
- securities regulation and fraud
- trial advocacy
Legal English courses complement and support your law instruction, while helping improve your English speaking and writing skills.