About USC Gould
USC Gould is a top-ranked law school with a 120-year history and reputation for academic excellence. We are located on the beautiful 228-acre USC University Park Campus, just south of downtown Los Angeles.
Learn about our interdisciplinary curriculum, experiential learning opportunities and specialized areas.
Participate in an unparalleled learning experience with diversity of people and thought. Get involved in the law school community and participate in activities that enhance your studies.
We work closely with students, graduates and employers to support successful career goals and outcomes. Our overall placement rate is consistently strong, with 94 percent of our JD class employed within 10 months after graduation.
Our faculty is distinguished for its scholarship, as well as for its commitment to teaching. Our 12:1 student-to-faculty ratio creates an intimate and collegial learning environment.
- Alumni and Giving
Alumni and Giving
The global Trojan network of more than 10,000 law alumni and donors include recognized leaders in numerous fields who are deeply committed to supporting student and law school success.
Master of Dispute Resolution (MDR) Degree
USC Gould School of Law
- MASTER OF DISPUTE RESOLUTION (MDR) DEGREE
- APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS
- CAREER OPPORTUNITIES
- CAMPUS HOUSING
- TUITION AND FINANCIAL AID
- MASTER OF LAWS (LLM) IN ALTERNATIVE DISPUTE RESOLUTION
- ALTERNATIVE DISPUTE RESOLUTION (ADR) CERTIFICATE
- MASTER OF STUDIES IN LAW (MSL) DEGREE - ON CAMPUS
- MASTER OF STUDIES IN LAW (MSL) DEGREE - ONLINE
- MASTER OF INTERNATIONAL TRADE LAW AND ECONOMICS
- ORGANIZATIONS, EVENTS AND NEWS
- CONTACT US
Join us on April 22nd at 12:30 p.m. (PDT)!
Register to attend a webinar to learn about USC Gould's master's degrees for non-lawyer professionals: Master of Studies in Law (MSL), Master of Dispute Resolution (MDR), and Master of International Trade Law and Economics (MITLE): https://bit.ly/uscgouldapril22webinar.
Our Master of Dispute Resolution (MDR) is designed for exceptional students and professionals interested in building strength in ADR processes or gaining skills and a prestigious credential for pursuing career opportunities as a mediator.
The MDR is a 24 unit degree program, offered on a part-time or full-time basis. Students may begin their studies in the fall or spring semesters. No law degree is required for the MDR and you do not need to take the LSAT to apply.
In addition to building valuable negotiation, mediation and arbitration skills as an advocate for a client or as a neutral, you will develop and hone business management skills to optimally position yourself for leadership roles in ADR organizations.
Why Choose USC Gould?
Top reasons to pursue the MDR at USC Gould:
- Earn a master's degree from a top 20 law school that's also recognized by LLM Guide as offering one of the top 10 ADR programs in the world.
- Complete your degree in as little as one year.
- ADR is one of the fastest-growing fields — less than 2 percent of lawsuits make it to trial; today an overwhelming majority of litigation disputes are resolved through ADR.
- Convenient and flexible scheduling — Classes are held during the day, in the evening and on weekends to accommodate working professionals. The law school is located on the USC University Park Campus in Los Angeles.
- Scholarships & Housing Stipends offered — All applicants will be considered automatically for our scholarship awards and housing stipends. Exceptional candidates will receive a prestigious Dispute Resolution Scholars Award. Our scholarship awards and stipends range in amounts.
- Receive career and professional support — includes workshops and individually tailored advice on developing your career plan for mediation or arbitration, as well as mentorship opportunities with dispute resolution professionals and tools for exam preparation.
- Join the Trojan Family — a renowned network of over 375,000 alumni who are deeply committed to furthering the success of USC graduates. Our more than 12,000 law graduates include partners in the world's largest law firms, leaders of civil rights movements, and CEOs and presidents of multibillion-dollar companies.
- Gain hands-on practical skill development — learn from faculty who are top-tier neutrals and bring decades of experience in dispute resolution. You'll also have access to clinical and experiential learning opportunities that help you become a seasoned professional. You will mediate real cases through our Practical Mediation Skills Clinic.
- Create new career opportunities — organizations increasingly use dispute resolution processes to handle business and human resources issues. ADR expertise increases your marketability for a range of work settings, including business, government, human resources, counseling, education and social work.
The MDR is ideal for:
- ADR practitioners who seek to deepen their expertise and/or manage ADR processes
- Business leaders who seek to expand their expertise in ADR and/or design systems to handle conflicts involving managers, customers, suppliers and employees
- International practitioners interested in designing ADR processes in their home countries
- Those who seek to manage dispute resolution processes, both public and private
- Recent graduates seeking to further career goals
My MDR degree is exactly what I need to establish credibility for my new commercial-real-estate-focused ADR services business. Through my coursework, I am gaining the knowledge and developing the skills that are essential to becoming a successful third-party neutral.
James Sullivan, MDR 2018
USC Gould offers an alternative master's degree in dispute resolution. Learn more about the Master of Laws in Alternative Dispute Resolution (LLM in ADR).
View our ADR Programs Flowchart to see which offering might be the best fit for you.
Now Accepting Applications
Talk with us in person — we will have a representative at the upcoming recruiting events: