About USC Gould
USC Gould is a top-ranked law school with a 120-year history and reputation for academic excellence. We are located on the beautiful 228-acre USC University Park Campus, just south of downtown Los Angeles.
Learn about our interdisciplinary curriculum, experiential learning opportunities and specialized areas.
Participate in an unparalleled learning experience with diversity of people and thought. Get involved in the law school community and participate in activities that enhance your studies.
We work closely with students, graduates and employers to support successful career goals and outcomes. Our overall placement rate is consistently strong, with 94 percent of our JD class employed within 10 months after graduation.
Our faculty is distinguished for its scholarship, as well as for its commitment to teaching. Our 12:1 student-to-faculty ratio creates an intimate and collegial learning environment.
- Alumni and Giving
Master of Laws (LLM) - Online
USC Gould School of Law
- MASTER OF LAWS (LLM) - ONLINE
- APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS
- BAR AND CERTIFICATE TRACKS
- TUITION AND FINANCIAL AID
- CAREER OPPORTUNITIES
- REDEFINED BLOG
- CONTACT US
The Online Master of Laws (LLM) program offers a part-time curriculum to students who have already earned a first degree in law (BA in Law, LLB, or JD equivalent) from a country outside the U.S.. Increase your understanding through interdisciplinary study and interaction with legal experts and seasoned academics and policymakers.
Earning an Online LLM degree from USC Gould requires completing 21 credit units that provide an opportunity to gain skills in a particular area of law. By selecting courses from our available fields of study, you can curate your own concentration. The Online LLM program provides an exciting and rewarding academic environment for international attorneys, government officials, business legal counsel, and recent law graduates interested in pursuing graduate studies in U.S. law.
Earn your LLM Degree 100% Online
USC Gould's Online LLM degree is taught in a 100% digital format that combines self-paced (asynchronous) and real-time (synchronous) components.
If you are interested in an in-person experience, please consider our on-campus LLM degree, which offers the same learning objectives at our University Park campus in downtown Los Angeles.
Top reasons to earn your Online LLM at USC:
- Earn a master's degree from a premier, top 20-ranked law school, fully accredited by the American Bar Association (ABA) and the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)
- No GRE or LSAT required
- 100% online - convenient coursework
- Part-time and flexible - ideal for working professionals
- Students complete their studies in as few as 16 months
- Deeply committed and distinguished faculty
- Access to the global USC Trojan Family network, which includes more than 14,000 USC Gould alumni worldwide
- Create new career opportunities with a degree in U.S. law
- Scholarships are available and considered for all applicants
- Admission decision within two to four weeks of application completion
- Three starts per year - fall, spring, or summer
- Receive an additional certificate in Business Law, Compliance, Entertainment Law and Industry, Financial Compliance, Health Care Compliance, Human Resources Law and Compliance or Privacy Law and Cybersecurity at no additional cost
The Online LLM prepares graduates for leadership roles in a wide variety of global settings, including business, compliance, education, entertainment, finance, health care, human resources and more. Upon completion of the program on the California Bar Track, international attorneys will be eligible* to sit for the California Bar Exam.
*Note: USC Gould School of Law cannot determine your eligibility to sit for the California Bar exam since each applicant is reviewed on a case-by-case basis by the State Bar. Therefore, we recommend verifying your California Bar eligibility prior to enrolling in our Online LLM.
Other benefits of the Online LLM include the following:
- Our interactive, online learning platform is accessible anywhere you have an internet connection.
- You will engage in weekly live discussions facilitated by your professor.
- You will have a collaborative online classroom experience - with small classes that allow for greater student and faculty interaction.
- Our Online LLM classes incorporate both synchronous and asynchronous activities, including interactive modules, message board participation, assignments, group work, virtual office hours, and weekly live classes via Zoom. Although the format offers flexibility in terms of scheduling, our degree is academically rigorous, and each class requires approximately 12-16 hours of work each week.
- Our unique academic week of Wednesday through Tuesday allows students to best maximize their time, especially on Saturdays and Sundays, to complete their course requirements.
- Our team of experienced advisors will provide you with individualized guidance on course selection to meet your personal and career goals.
"USC Gould School of Law's online LLM degree is exceptionally useful. In addition to helping me learn about the U.S. law in an interactive manner, it also equips me with the skills to communicate online, which is highly sought after by employers heavily involved in cross-border activities."
Sharon Chiang (Singapore), LLM 2017 graduate
Compliance Certificate Board (CCB) Accreditation
The online certificates in Compliance, Financial Compliance, Health Care Compliance, and Human Resource Law and Compliance are accredited by the Compliance Certification Board (CCB) and meet the required standards for compliance education and certification when earned concurrently with necessary compliance coursework. Students may sit for a CCB exam upon graduation if they complete 16 units in related coursework as part of their studies and earn a cumulative GPA of 3.0 at USC Gould School of Law. Learn more about the CCB and other accredited USC Gould certificates.
LLM Degree Outcomes
Through the LLM degree, you will develop:
- Practical knowledge of the theories, history and use of American law
- A strong understanding of the U.S. legal system, government, historical context and foundational values
- Insights into how the American legal system differs from other legal systems around the world
- Fluency with advanced legal terminology through exposure to substantive texts, cases, statutes and memoranda
- The ability to perform legal research and analysis necessary for work in a variety of legal settings
- An understanding of legal professionalism and ethics, and the responsibilities required of representatives of clients and officers of the court
- Improved English language and writing skills
Raytheon Technologies is one of the world's largest aerospace and defense suppliers. Among the talent supporting its global interests is Olga Pechkurova, who has been employed at one of the company's Canadian offices since graduating from USC in May 2021. In her current role as a subcontracts specialist, Olga provides legal support to the company's in-country and international operations.
Olga Pechkurova, LLM 2021
Founded in Chicago in 1928, Motorola has a long history as an innovator in the field of electronic communications technology. Having changed its name to Motorola Solutions in 2011, the company continues to provide products and services to different organizations across the globe. This includes Sao Paulo, Brazil, where William Cornetta has built a successful career as an in-house counsel for Motorola since the mid-2000s.
William Cornetta, LLM 2020
Based in Shanghai, China, Huachen Yi has built an impressive resume since starting his law career in 2007 - holding positions with top companies like Electronic Arts, Siemens and Mattel. After more than a decade of experience working for international employers, he decided to further his knowledge of the United States legal system by pursuing an online graduate degree.
Huachen Yi, LLM 2019