About USC Gould
USC Gould is a top-ranked law school with a 115-year history and reputation for academic excellence. We are located on the beautiful 228-acre USC University Park Campus, just south of downtown Los Angeles.
Learn about our rigorous and interdisciplinary curriculum, our invaluable experiential learning opportunities, and the breadth and depth of our specialized areas of concentration and certificate offerings.
- Student Life
Participate in an unparalleled learning experience with diversity of people and thought. Get involved in the law school community and participate in activities that enhance your studies.
We work closely with students, graduates and employers to support successful career goals and outcomes. Our overall placement rate is consistently strong, with 94 percent of our JD class employed within 10 months after graduation.
Our faculty is distinguished for its scholarship, as well as for its commitment to teaching. Our 12:1 student-to-faculty ratio creates an intimate and collegial learning environment.
- Alumni and Giving
Alumni and Giving
The global Trojan network of more than 10,000 law alumni and donors include recognized leaders in numerous fields who are deeply committed to supporting student and law school success.
Fighting for tenants’ rights
- ABOUT USC GOULD
- A MESSAGE FROM THE DEAN
- + HISTORY OF USC GOULD
- + NEWS
- + EVENTS
- BOARD OF COUNCILORS
- ABA REQUIRED DISCLOSURES
- VISIT US
- SOCIAL MEDIA
- + CONTACT US
Friday, March 7, 2008
Speaker launched nonprofit to stop illegal evictions
—By Lori Craig
More than three years ago, Daniel J. Bramzon left big firm life to found the nonprofit BASTA, Inc., to fight for tenants’ rights.
Since then, he has witnessed the ugly side of landlord-tenant disputes.
|BASTA founder Daniel J. Bramzon|
“Our attorneys have been offered $50,000 bribes,” Bramzon told USC Law students Feb. 27. “Our attorneys have been imprisoned. Our attorneys have been assaulted while … examining properties.”
Bramzon told the story of how BASTA grew from a one-man operation housed in his living room to a network of 14 attorneys and staff members in two offices, located in Los Angeles and Lancaster. His talk was sponsored by the Public Interest Law Foundation and La Raza Law Students Association.
He said he was drawn to public interest after taking on a pro bono case for a janitor at his Century City firm, his first case involving tenants’ rights.
“I was shocked to learn what actually happened at eviction court at the L.A. courthouse,” Bramzon said. “Eighty-eight percent of the tenants don’t have legal representation, and most don’t speak enough English to represent themselves. Poor tenants without attorneys would lose to landlords with attorneys.”
The system seemed to make fighting evictions difficult, Bramzon said. Trials before a commissioner were expected to last no more than 20 minutes and had an informal air, with witnesses answering “leading questions” from a desk rather than a witness stand.
Bramzon began requesting jury trials before a judge. His first trial lasted an unheard-of four hours, he said, earning a round of applause from the galley, though Bramzon lost.
“They clapped because they saw a fight,” he said.
After becoming acquainted with the ins and outs of the court process in landlord-tenant disputes, Bramzon resolved to request a jury trial for every single case. Now, BASTA attorneys win 90 percent of their cases, he said, and the other 10 percent are dismissed.
“All our clients are very, very poor,” Bramzon said. “Most of them should not lose their cases. They have great defenses — they just have no representation.”
For more information, visit basta.org.
Allegations are numerous, according to USC Gould study
Transforming Criminal Justice
December 3, 2018
Philadelphia D.A. Larry Krasner, a former defense and civil rights attorney, talks reform
November 21, 2018
Prof. Jonathan Barnett keeps a bird's eye view on media, entertainment, and technology law trends