About USC Gould
USC Gould is a top-ranked law school with a 120-year history and reputation for academic excellence. We are located on the beautiful 228-acre USC University Park Campus, just south of downtown Los Angeles.
Learn about our interdisciplinary curriculum, experiential learning opportunities and specialized areas.
Student Quick Links:
USC Gould helps prepare you for a stellar legal career. You can pursue a JD degree, one of our numerous graduate and international offerings, or an online degree or certificate.
Participate in an unparalleled learning experience with diversity of people and thought. Get involved in the law school community and participate in activities that enhance your studies.
Student Quick Links:
We work closely with students, graduates and employers to support successful career goals and outcomes. Our overall placement rate is consistently strong, with 94 percent of our JD class employed within 10 months after graduation.
Our faculty is distinguished for its scholarship, as well as for its commitment to teaching. Our 12:1 student-to-faculty ratio creates an intimate and collegial learning environment.
- Alumni and Giving
Ten Guiding Principles
USC Gould School of Law
- SAKS INSTITUTE FOR MENTAL HEALTH LAW, POLICY, AND ETHICS
- WHO WE ARE
- TEN GUIDING PRINCIPLES
- AREAS OF FOCUS
- BOARDS OF THE INSTITUTE
- STUDENT SCHOLARS
- EVENTS AND VIDEO
- CONTACT US
As the Institutional Vision offers the spirit and why of our work, The Guiding Principles serve as our what we do cornerstones: they are the interrelated building blocks of our Institute that focus attention, clarify intention, and keep us centered on true north. To better life for people with mental illness and promote a society with greater mental health:
- We engage in interdisciplinary and integrative scholarship using diversity of methodological approaches to produce and publish research around issues of mental illness and mental health so as to support all persons in living their fuller and expanded human potentials.
- We are a “think tank” developing new and innovative ways of thinking about legal and ethical issues that arise in the context of mental health and delivery of mental health services.
- We serve as a “go-to” place, an unbiased information source for the media, the public, and those on the ground who care and advocate for the rights of persons with mental illness.
- We foster conversation, collaboration, and partnerships among professionals and consumers -- private, non-profit, corporate and government agencies -- involved in implementing services to support mental wellness in communities, regions, and nations.
- We propose public policy changes that better serve mental health communities by recommending cost-effective prevention and treatment services.
- We educate students regarding the legal, political, psychological, and ethical issues involved in supporting the rights of persons with mental illness and providing mental health services.
- We put a “face” on mental illness, dissolving stigma through promoting dignity for all human beings and enhancing a collective public awareness about how mental suffering affects not one but all.
- We respect and value one another and expect our actions and decisions to be mindful, ethical, and ultimately to enhance the quality of life.
- We welcome multiple voices to the conversation and consider grantees and board members to be valued advisors as we seek the greater good for our beneficiaries.
- We evaluate progress and assess outcomes to be responsible scholars and stewards and to further our own growth and transformation.
USC Gould Law Library showcases ‘rejuvenating power of music’
June 2, 2023
Performances feature LA Philharmonic concertmaster, saxophone quartet
‘The Best Beloved Thing is Justice’
June 1, 2023
New book by Gould alum Lisa Kloppenberg celebrates life of Judge and former Dean Dorothy W. Nelson
USC Gould Title IX trailblazer works to put more women in leadership roles
May 30, 2023
"If we can continue moving forward, the future is very bright," says Associate Dean Nickey Woods