About USC Gould
USC Gould is a top-ranked law school with a 120-year history and reputation for academic excellence. We are located on the beautiful 228-acre USC University Park Campus, just south of downtown Los Angeles.
Learn about our interdisciplinary curriculum, experiential learning opportunities and specialized areas.
USC Gould helps prepare you for a stellar legal career. You can pursue a JD degree, one of our numerous graduate and international offerings, or an online degree or certificate.
Participate in an unparalleled learning experience with diversity of people and thought. Get involved in the law school community and participate in activities that enhance your studies.
We work closely with students, graduates and employers to support successful career goals and outcomes. Our overall placement rate is consistently strong, with 94 percent of our JD class employed within 10 months after graduation.
Our faculty is distinguished for its scholarship, as well as for its commitment to teaching. Our 12:1 student-to-faculty ratio creates an intimate and collegial learning environment.
- Alumni and Giving
JD Degree Requirements - Juris Doctor (JD)
USC Gould School of Law
- JURIS DOCTOR (JD) DEGREE
- + CURRICULUM
- CURRICULUM OVERVIEW
- JD DEGREE REQUIREMENTS
- COURSE DESCRIPTIONS
- CLASS RANK AND GRADING
- CLINICS AND PRACTICUMS
- DUAL DEGREES
- STUDY ABROAD
- DATES AND DEADLINES
- CLASS PROFILE
- + TUITION AND FINANCIAL AID
- COST OF ATTENDANCE
- COST AND VALUE
- FINANCIAL AID RESOURCES
- FRANK ROTHMAN SCHOLARS
- PUBLIC INTEREST SCHOLARS
- HONORS SCHOLARS
- FIRST GENERATION PROFESSIONALS
- LOAN REPAYMENT ASSISTANCE PROGRAM (LRAP)
- EXPERIENTIAL LEARNING
- RECRUITMENT EVENTS
- APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS
- + ALTERNATE ADMISSIONS PATHS
- TRANSFER STUDENTS
- VISITING STUDENTS
- HOUSING AND TRANSPORTATION
- ABA REQUIRED DISCLOSURES
- CONTACT US
To receive the Juris Doctor from USC Gould, you must successfully complete the following:
- first-year curriculum
- 88 total units, 64 of which must come from regularly scheduled classes (excluding, among other activities, practicums, externships, journals and independent research projects)
- 37 upper-division graded units
- six semesters of full-time attendance
- Constitutional Law: Rights
- Upper-division Race & Law Course (beginning with entering Class of 2021)
- upper-division writing requirement
- upper-division experiential learning requirement - requires taking six units in either a simulation course, a law clinic, or a field placement
- remain in good standing with a 2.90 cumulative GPA
Each requirement is fully described in the Gould Student Handbook: https://lawportal.usc.edu
Start the online application process.
Take a Tour
Come experience life at USC Gould.
Meet the community of USC Gould.
Request More Information
Download or request a copy of our informative viewbook by postal mail.
Check Application Status
Check your application status online.
Meet your JD student ambassadors.
Admitted Students Portal
Log in to our admitted students portal.
Still have questions? Let us help.