About USC Gould
USC Gould is a top-ranked law school with a 115-year history and reputation for academic excellence. We are located on the beautiful 228-acre USC University Park Campus, just south of downtown Los Angeles.
Learn about our rigorous and interdisciplinary curriculum, our invaluable experiential learning opportunities, and the breadth and depth of our specialized areas of concentration and certificate offerings.
- Student Life
Participate in an unparalleled learning experience with diversity of people and thought. Get involved in the law school community and participate in activities that enhance your studies.
We work closely with students, graduates and employers to support successful career goals and outcomes. Our overall placement rate is consistently strong, with 94 percent of our JD class employed within 10 months after graduation.
Our faculty is distinguished for its scholarship, as well as for its commitment to teaching. Our 12:1 student-to-faculty ratio creates an intimate and collegial learning environment.
- Alumni and Giving
Alumni and Giving
The global Trojan network of more than 10,000 law alumni and donors include recognized leaders in numerous fields who are deeply committed to supporting student and law school success.
- + AREAS OF CONCENTRATION
- ALTERNATIVE DISPUTE RESOLUTION
- BUSINESS LAW
- MEDIA, ENTERTAINMENT AND TECHNOLOGY LAW
- PUBLIC INTEREST LAW
- + EXPERIENTIAL LEARNING
- UNDERGRADUATE COURSES AND PROGRAMS
- CORPORATE AND CUSTOM EDUCATION
- + NON-DEGREE PROGRAMS
- ACADEMIC CALENDAR
- COURSE DESCRIPTIONS
Entrepreneurial Opportunities in Online Dispute Resolution (Spring 2017)
- Course Number: LAW-818
- Class Number: 03567
- Instructor: Casey Schwab
Over the last several years, activities that once primarily depended on face-to-face interaction have increasingly come to involve the internet. Alongside examples like ecommerce and online dating is the lesser-known practice of online dispute resolution (ODR). For instance, the company Modria reportedly resolves over 400 million ecommerce disputes per year. But the ODR market is still very much in its infancy, as evidenced by the fact that ecommerce disputes only represent a small portion of disputes that are, in principle, resolvable online.
This course presents the theoretical groundwork of ODR and prepares students to be successful neutrals in ODR settings. It also pushes the bounds of traditional ADR (alternative dispute resolution) by examining ODR business models from an entrepreneurial perspective. The course is taught in a conventional classroom fashion and is not taught online.
In this course, you will:
· Study the fundamentals of ODR and its relationship to ADR.
· Examine the landscape of ODR, both by learning about its history and evaluating various ODR ventures.
· Practice settling disputes within the traditional bounds of ADR and also by use of online tools such as videoconference and email.
· Explore new ODR business models that transcend the traditional conventions of ADR.
· Conceive, construct and pitch an ODR-centered business plan.
- Unit Value: 3
- Grading Options: Numerical Only
- Schedule: T 7:00 pm - 9:40 pm
- Room Number: Room 118/120
- Exam: None
- Writing Requirement: No
- Skills/Experiential Unit Requirement: yes
- Participation: Required and graded
Start the online application process.
Schedule a Tour
Come experience life at USC Gould.
Visit a Classroom
Sit in on a real class session.
Browse our Viewbook
Download our informative viewbook.
Check Application Status
Check your application status online.
Meet your JD student ambassadors.
Admitted Students Portal
Log in to our admitted students portal.
Still have questions? Let us help.