About USC Gould
USC Gould is a top-ranked law school with a 115-year history and reputation for academic excellence. We are located on the beautiful 228-acre USC University Park Campus, just south of downtown Los Angeles.
Learn about our rigorous and interdisciplinary curriculum, our invaluable experiential learning opportunities, and the breadth and depth of our specialized areas of concentration and certificate offerings.
- Student Life
Participate in an unparalleled learning experience with diversity of people and thought. Get involved in the law school community and participate in activities that enhance your studies.
We work closely with students, graduates and employers to support successful career goals and outcomes. Our overall placement rate is consistently strong, with 94 percent of our JD class employed within 10 months after graduation.
Our faculty is distinguished for its scholarship, as well as for its commitment to teaching. Our 12:1 student-to-faculty ratio creates an intimate and collegial learning environment.
- Alumni and Giving
Alumni and Giving
The global Trojan network of more than 10,000 law alumni and donors include recognized leaders in numerous fields who are deeply committed to supporting student and law school success.
- + AREAS OF CONCENTRATION
- ALTERNATIVE DISPUTE RESOLUTION
- BUSINESS LAW
- MEDIA, ENTERTAINMENT AND TECHNOLOGY LAW
- PUBLIC INTEREST LAW
- + EXPERIENTIAL LEARNING
- PROGRESSIVE DEGREE CANDIDATES
- UNDERGRADUATE COURSES AND PROGRAMS
- CORPORATE AND CUSTOM EDUCATION
- + NON-DEGREE PROGRAMS
- ACADEMIC CALENDAR
- COURSE DESCRIPTIONS
- BAR ADMISSIONS
Topics in American Law (LLM Only) (Spring 2019)
- Course Number: LAW-521
- Class Number: 04035
- Instructor: John Heilman
This course is designed to give students an overview of major legal doctrines in the United States with a special emphasis on topics students must know to take a bar examination in the United States. Students will be exposed to the following topics: Torts (compensation for personal injuries); Criminal Law; Constitutional Criminal Procedure; Evidence; Contracts; Real Property; and, Trusts.
The goals of the course are to:
1. Provide students with an understanding of the basic doctrines of the subjects identified in the previous paragraph;
2. Provide students with exposure to bar-examination style essay and multiple choice questions.
3. Assist students with their writing by providing feedback on at least two written assignments.
4. Prepare students to study for and successfully take a bar examination in the United States.
- Unit Value: 3
- Grading Options: Numerical or CR/D/F
- Schedule: Friday, 10:00a-12:50p
- Room Number: Room 3
- Exam: In-class multiple choice exam and a take-home essay exam
- Writing Requirement: No
- Skills/Experiential Unit Requirement: no
- Participation: Not graded but class assignments required
- Class Recordings: Never
- Access To Recordings: Not Available
Start the online application process.
Schedule a Tour
Come experience life at USC Gould.
Visit a Classroom
Sit in on a real class session.
Request More Information
Download or request a copy of our informative viewbook by postal mail.
Check Application Status
Check your application status online.
Meet your JD student ambassadors.
Admitted Students Portal
Log in to our admitted students portal.
Still have questions? Let us help.