About USC Gould
USC Gould is a top-ranked law school with a 115-year history and reputation for academic excellence. We are located on the beautiful 228-acre USC University Park Campus, just south of downtown Los Angeles.
Learn about our rigorous and interdisciplinary curriculum, our invaluable experiential learning opportunities, and the breadth and depth of our specialized areas of concentration and certificate offerings.
Participate in an unparalleled learning experience with diversity of people and thought. Get involved in the law school community and participate in activities that enhance your studies.
We work closely with students, graduates and employers to support successful career goals and outcomes. Our overall placement rate is consistently strong, with 94 percent of our JD class employed within 10 months after graduation.
Our faculty is distinguished for its scholarship, as well as for its commitment to teaching. Our 12:1 student-to-faculty ratio creates an intimate and collegial learning environment.
- Alumni and Giving
Alumni and Giving
The global Trojan network of more than 10,000 law alumni and donors include recognized leaders in numerous fields who are deeply committed to supporting student and law school success.
- + AREAS OF CONCENTRATION
- ALTERNATIVE DISPUTE RESOLUTION
- BUSINESS LAW
- MEDIA, ENTERTAINMENT AND TECHNOLOGY LAW
- PUBLIC INTEREST LAW
- + EXPERIENTIAL LEARNING
- UNDERGRADUATE COURSES AND PROGRAMS
- CORPORATE AND CUSTOM EDUCATION
- + NON-DEGREE PROGRAMS
- ACADEMIC CALENDAR
- COURSE DESCRIPTIONS
- BAR ADMISSIONS
Family Law (Fall 2019)
- Course Number: LAW-623
- Class Number: 03263
- Instructor: Scott Altman
This course is appropriate both for students who want to practice family law and for those who are simply interested in the regulation of families. Major topics will include:
- Marriage (who can marry, how marriage differs from cohabitation, what obligations come with marriage, when can these obligations be changed by contract)
- Divorce (the role of fault, alimony, separation agreements) (the class will not cover marital property in detail because it is the subject of a separate class)
- Child Custody (including visitation, relocation by a custodial parent, modification, custody jurisdiction, and custody by nonparents and by parents through reproductive technology)
- Child Support (how it is calculated and when it can be modified)
- Acquiring Children (through adoption and surrogacy)
- Unit Value: 3
- Grading Options: Numerical or CR/D/F
- Schedule: T/Th 9:00 pm - 10:15 am
- Room Number: Room 118/120
- Exam: In-class exam
- Writing Requirement: No
- Skills/Experiential Unit Requirement: No
- Participation: Expected
Start the online application process.
Schedule a Tour
Come experience life at USC Gould.
Visit a Classroom
Sit in on a real class session.
Request More Information
Download or request a copy of our informative viewbook by postal mail.
Check Application Status
Check your application status online.
Meet your JD student ambassadors.
Admitted Students Portal
Log in to our admitted students portal.
Still have questions? Let us help.